Special thanks to Marian Hickman for providing historical information for this timeline.
|May 27, 1830||Mt Gilead Baptist Church is organized by a council of brethren from the following churches: Blue River, Union, and Shelbyville. Lacking a church building, services are held at the homes of members.|
A log meeting house measuring twenty-four feet square is built on land donated by John McCrea one mile west of Smithland. McCrea also donates one-hundred dollars to help with the construction of the building.
|1848||A frame church is built on land donated by Levi Liniger. The building is located in a grove of beech and wild cherry trees just south of Miller Cemetery.|
|July 4, 1855||Mt Gilead holds a celebration on McCrea Hill (Present location of our Easter Sunrise Service).|
|1872||Worship services are moved to the Smithland School House after the church building is deemed unsafe. In June, a meeting is held with members deciding to build a new frame church in Smithland on land purchased from Walter Scott for fifty dollars (Present church location).|
The first sermon is held in the new Smithland church building.
|June 7, 1919||Lightning strikes the church and the building is lost. Church services are held in the Smithland School House and parsonage.|
|November 27, 1920||After problems acquiring building materials because of the war, the cornerstone of the new church is put in place by the Flat Rock Association, and the foundation is poured.|
|January 22, 1922||
The dedication ceremony for the new church building is held.
|August 1922||The Flat Rock Association holds their Centennial meeting at Mt. Gilead with thirty-two churches attending.|
October 5, 1930
|Mt. Gilead celebrates its Centennial Anniversary.|
|March 12, 1939||A rededication is celebrated after extensive redecoration.|
|October 6, 1940||Mt. Gilead celebrates its 110th. Anniversary.|
|1952||The trustees purchase a house in Shelbyville to be used as the church parsonage.|
|1955||A house and lot just north of the church property are purchased from Horace Harrell to be used as an additional building and to increase parking.|
|May 12-29, 1955||Mt. Gilead celebrates its 125th Anniversary.|
|May 12, 1968||After feeling the need for an educational facility, and several years of saving, the church members vote to build an addition to the building.|
|September 16, 1968||A ground breaking ceremony is held for the new addition.|
|March 28, 1971||
The dedication ceremony for the new educational addition is held.
The old parsonage is sold and a new parsonage is built on the property north of the church.
|June 3, 1990||Mt. Gilead celebrates its 160th. Anniversary.|
|June 11-12, 2005||Mt. Gilead celebrates its 175th. Anniversary.|